[Dixielandjazz] Kenton Changes Big Band Sound

Paul Edgerton paul.edgerton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 00:37:48 PDT 2011

Marek Boym wrote:

 > Even BG found itdifficult to swing when he used the same arrangers.

And later elaborated:

Juat listen to BG playing a Bill Holman arrangement of "Call Me
> Irresponsible" on "Hello Benny!" (Capitol ST 2157).

This implies that Bill Holman's music doesn't swing. I haven't heard that
particular recording, so I won't comment on it. But Bill Holman is on my
short list of favorite arrangers precisely for his swinging, contrapuntal
and horizontally-oriented style. That's something that ought to be familiar
ground for OKOM fans.

-- Paul