[Dixielandjazz] Kenton Changes Big Band Sound

Stan Brager sbrager at verizon.net
Sat Mar 12 17:03:58 PST 2011

Like many big band leaders, Kenton changed his big band sound many times as
did most of the big jazz bands - Goodman, Shaw, Basie, Herman, etc. They
accomplished this mostly by disbanding and reforming. Duke Ellington, on the
other hand, never disbanded - his music simply evolved as his capabilities
as a composer and arranger grew. Along with this, came the usual changes in
personnel (rare by most big band standards) and the numerical increase in
band members.

Stan
Stan Brager