[Dixielandjazz] R.I.P. Hugh Martin

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat Mar 12 12:21:12 PST 2011

Famed Songwriter Hugh Martin Dies
by John Wilkens
San Diego Union-Tribune, March 11, 2011
Songwriter Hugh Martin, whose "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" has been a
holiday favorite for almost 70 years, died Friday afternoon of natural causes at
his longtime home in Encinitas. He was 96.
Written for the movie musical "Meet Me in St. Louis" in 1943, "Have Yourself" has
been recorded by more than 500 artists, everybody from Tony Bennett to Twisted Sister.
It is annually among the most-played holiday songs on the radio.
"The way people continue to embrace that song has been the most thrilling thing that
ever happened to me," Martin told the Union-Tribune last December, in one of his
final interviews. "Just out of this world exciting."
He was born Aug. 11, 1914 in Birmingham, Ala. His father was an architect and his
mother -- a woman he addressed by name, Ellie Gordon -- an accomplished musician
and a lover of all things New York. She steered him to the piano, where he found
shelter from lifelong bouts with low self-esteem, and to Broadway.
He was a performer first, then an arranger, then a composer with partner Ralph Blane.
Their 1941 Broadway hit, "Best Foot Forward," brought them to the attention of Hollywood
and led to the assignment to write songs for "Meet Me in St. Louis," starring Judy
Garland.
One of her numbers, "The Trolley Song," was nominated for an Oscar and became so
popular Martin spent much of his Army stint during World War II performing it for
the troops instead of fighting alongside them.
Garland initially refused to sing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" in the
film because she thought it was too gloomy. Martin changed the words. "Judy was right,"
Martin said last December. "If I'd kept the lyrics the way they were, it would have
been thrown out and forgotten."
After the war, he resumed his career as a composer, arranger and vocal coach for
plays and movies. His work earned him four Tony Award nominations and a second Academy
Award nomination. He was elected to the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1983.
Martin moved to San Diego in the mid-1970s, fleeing cold winters back East. He lived
for many years in Encinitas with Elaine Harrison, a woman he befriended through church,
and her husband, Fred.
He is survived by his brother, Gordon, of Birmingham. At Martin's request, no services
are planned.

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

My wife was hinting about what she wanted for our upcoming anniversary.
She said, "I want something shiny that goes from 0 to 150 in about 3 seconds."
I bought her a bathroom scale.