[Dixielandjazz] Jack Sheldon interviewed

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Mar 11 22:06:04 PST 2011

Robert Ringwald commented [in part]:

> Bill, are you saying that you never heard of Jack Sheldon?........
> He is a fantastic trumpet player.  But, probably not to your liking...

Dear Bob,
True.
If someone had asked me who he was, I would not have known.
His name is not in my 'jazz' memory.
I have just played his contribution to the BG Carnegie Hall 40th Anniversary Concert.
"Loch Lomond" (trumpet & vocal)
"Rocky Raccoon" (he is featured with jokey intro/comments, vocal and trumpet).
"Sing, Sing, Sing/Christopher Columbus" (trumpet solo)
I loved the Sheldon on-stage quips with Benny but, as you suggested, the trumpet solos did nothing for me.
In fact, the 2LP Concert album didn't grab me at all.
Even though, as Marek reminds us occasionally, BG is His Majesty the King.
This may even have been the second time I have played the LPs.
Kind regards,
Mouldy Bill. (Too old to change now.)