[Dixielandjazz] Jack Sheldon interviewed

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Mar 11 17:23:12 PST 2011

Bill Haesler wrote regarding Jack Sheldon:

>>From someone I do not recall ever having heard of.

Bill, are you saying that you never heard of Jack Sheldon?  If so, you are certainly living a sheltered life.

He is a fantastic trumpet player.  But, probably not to your liking...

> (My Benny Goodman collection stops in the 1950s.)
> Does his playing match the humour?

No.  His playing is serious - tremendous technique and great ideas to match.

He was the band leader on the Merv Griffin TV show for 18 years.  Did a lot of comedy on the show.

He is a very funny, in an irreverent way.

He once said that he likes to date homeless women cause after the date, he can drop them off anywhere.

He also said, "I went out to a gay bar the other night.  There was 20 guys for every guy..."

You had to be there..

--Bob Ringwald