[Dixielandjazz] Changes to Rampart Street from 1852 to 1938.

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Mar 11 13:22:55 PST 2011

Stephen G Barbone wrote:
> To further add to the Rampart Street Confusion, below is a listing of Rampart Street name changes in New Orleans from 1852 to 1938. The source is the New Orleans Public Library and may be viewed, with an explanation, at:
> http://nutrias.org/%7Enopl/facts/streetnames/namesa.htm

Dear Steve,
Well done young fella.
*>)
It's all there on deep down on the internet, if you know where to look. And how to frame the question.
As listmate Dave Richoux taught me many years ago.
So far as the photograph titled, 'Store windows on Rampart Street at night in New Orleans in the 1930s', you forwarded.
I was about to question the subsequent file 'Description' naming 'South' Rampart Street.
We do not know when that 'description' was written by whoever filed the photograph.
I thought I had found a similar positive pre-1937 example, until I noted a comment using the words "designated South Rampart Street" which appeared to post-date the early 1930s reference.
I'm with Bob R on this one. Let's put it to bed.
Very kind regards,
Bill.