[Dixielandjazz] Charity Events - Pricing

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 11 12:51:18 PST 2011

Unlike many other bands, we have a multi tier pricing schedule.

1) Weddings, private Parties, etc. We charge top prices. then
graduated lower prices for the below tiers.

2) Street Concerts, municipal gigs, club dates etc.,.

3) Retirement Homes, Assisted Living Facilities, Hospitals

4) Charity Events.

We also graduate prices depending upon night or day of the week.
Again, below high to low.

1) Saturday Nights after 6 PM

2) Friday nights after 6 PM

3) Sunday through Thursday nights and all day gigs ending by 5 PM.

We do not play free unless it is one of my personal charities. Then I
personally donate the band and pay the musicians out of my own pocket.
(Slush fund of accumulated leader fees) They do not realize that I am
donating and I like it that way because they are all professional
musicians who work musically for a living.

In rare cases, a sideman may ask if the band will play a freebie for a
good cause. If the band agrees, we do it. Examples of "good cause" are
funerals for our musician peers, or a gig at a hospital for personal
friends of the sidemen.

What I will sometimes tell a charity or non-profit requester if not
one of my personal donations, is that I will be happy to donate my
services, however the sidemen must be paid. e.g. two hour local trio
gig. I say the other two must get $200 a man or $400 total. Then I pay
them $175 each and work for $50 to cover my expenses. Only if I like
the cause. Otherwise I will say we will give them the special
"Charity" rate of $525.

We have lost a few charity gigs because we charge when others play for
free, but then again, the ones we do play make up the monetary
difference.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband