[Dixielandjazz] Pricing your band for Charity Events?

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Mar 11 12:19:31 PST 2011

Jim O'Briant asks:

> My band, the Zinfandel Stompers, is becoming widely enough known in our area
> that we're getting more inquiries about performances. Some of these are for
> charity events, and of course they are always "on a very limited budget" -
> meaning that they want us to contribute our services for free, or play for
> very little money.
>
> I'd appreciate hearing from other band leaders on the DJML, either publicly
> on the list or via private email, how you handle such inquiries, whether you
> have special pricing for charity events, and what sort of pricing you give
> them.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule.  However, 99.99% I don't do it free or at a reduced price.

For instance, I just worked a solo piano gig for an organization.  They paid me $300 for 1-hour 45 minutes.  This was the 5th year I have played for their benefit.  They made $37,000 after expenses.  They were happy to pay me.

There is one train of thought out there that says, "The more you charge, the better you are."  I tend to agree with this.

I won't say that I never play for free, but I can tell you, it is sure not very often.

I have played for a fund raiser for the music and theater department at the local high-school.

I also play for our local Jazz Society as we sponsor:

1.  A yearly youth Jazz camp with close to 100 youth musicians between the ages of 12-    17.
2.  We award music lesson scholarships each year.
3.  We sponsor a youth Jazz band, the TNT (The New Traditionalists).
   4.  We sponsor a very successful Trad Jazz Youth Jazz Festival each year.

We also have other youth music programs.

To me, it is like belonging to the Elks or Lions clubs, giving a little something back to the community.

However, for the most part when I am asked to play for free, or at a reduced price for a charity, I follow the rule, is anyone else getting paid?  How about the bartenders, waitresses, caterers, hall, sound people, lighting people, etc.

--Bob Ringwald