[Dixielandjazz] Pricing your band for Charity Events?

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Mar 11 11:19:41 PST 2011

I do play free or at reduced cost for organizations that I am a member of
but there are rules.  If they are paying other entertainers they pay me too
or I simply decline.  I also limit the number of free or reduced cost things
that I will do in a year.  The next big rule is that I never expect guys
that play with me to play free or at reduced cost.

Tuesday night I am playing at a reduced fee for an organization that I
belong to.  I only expect about half of what I usually get.  I left it up to
them and if they don't pay me at least half I won't do it next year.  They
do know how much I charge to do a show.  They might actually pay me the full
price too.  I will get a nice meal out of it and that's worth something.

You have to come up with some guidelines that you can live with.  In a way
this is how it works.... I personally like performing Christmas music but
since I sell to a lot of Senior Citizen homes the business really drops off
at Christmas.  Why?  Because there are dozens of groups performing at those
places for free.  So do I, because I like it, perform at Christmas for free
too?  Not!  Free kills pro musicians trying to make a buck and even if you
aren't making your living from music you shouldn't muddy the waters.  I know
several guys that are retired that the money they make playing makes the
difference of having some spending money or not.  So while a musician may be
flush now you might not be after you retire or maybe get out of work.

I suggest setting up some personal rules and then follow them.
Larry
St.L