[Dixielandjazz] Graeme Bell - att. Bill Haesler!

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Mar 10 22:24:40 PST 2011

Michael Thomason wrote:
> Any news on Graeme?
> I know he's approaching 97 and wanted to hear the latest on thye best piano player in Australian Jazz!

Dear Mike,
Graeme would be pleased to hear that he is "the best piano player in Australian Jazz".
But would, heartily and rightly, deny it.
Yes, he will be 97 on 7th September this year.
Although now finally retired musically, he is as sharp as ever. With that wicked sense of humour.
Notwithstanding several major back operations that have, unfortunately, recently 'sentenced' him to using a walking frame.
And a wheelchair when he goes out with mates. Which is often.
We keep in regular contact personally and by phone.
I visited him the other day and there was still no sign of 'old age'.
Far from it.
Graeme has always been active, keeps up-to-date on everything, has lots of friends and his dear wife Dorothy is always at hand to keep all of us in line.
8>)
I will pass on your best wishes when I see him next week.

> Here in 'sunny' southern California we don't get much news of Oz Jazz. (I wonder why)

Probably because Australian jazz musicians are a quiet and modest lot.
Very kind regards,
Bill.