[Dixielandjazz] South Rampart Street

Phil Wilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 10 21:09:49 PST 2011

Canal Street is the dividing line where many streets change from "South" to
"North." In reality, Canal Street runs about 10° off due north/south and
streets labeled "South" are on the west side of Canal St., while those
labeled "North" are on the east side.

And yes, there is a South Rampart Street and a North Rampart Street
("rampart" as in city wall). They have been there almost since the founding
of the town. And no, there are no parades there these days.

Canal Street is named for a navigation canal which was to be dug from Lake
Pontchartrain to downtown New Orleans because that was a much better route
for sailing ships to take than fighting the Mississippi River current and
shifting channel for almost a hundred miles. The canal was never dug, but
the right-of-way for it made an excellent right-of-way for a commercial
street.

As it turned out, it also made a good boundary between the French/Spanish
population and the new English speaking arrivals after the Louisiana
Purchase. The French/Spanish people despised the "Kaintucks" and refused to
have anything to do with them (at least where they could be seen), so the
new arrivals built their own town on the other side of Canal St. from what
became the "French Quarter." On the other hand, there had to be SOME
commerce between them, if only because of the river/ocean trans-shipment
business, so the center of Canal St. became a neutral territory, which is
why we call street medians "neutral grounds" to this day.

It is also why most streets in downtown New Orleans (south of the Rampart
Streets) change names as they cross Canal Street. Royal Street in the French
Quarter becomes Saint Charles Avenue on the "American" side, etc.

Anyone who really cares about this should get a copy of a book by John
Chase. The short title is: "Frenchmen, Desire, Good Children" and it it the
history of the city with emphasis on the growth of the various
neighborhoods. It is still in print in paperback and can be had from on-line
sellers.

Phil Wilking

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.