[Dixielandjazz] South Rampart Street

Jim Irvin JIRVIN at millinglaw.com
Thu Mar 10 13:27:04 PST 2011

Canal separates the French Quarter from what once was called the "American Sector." Many of the streets that maintained the same name north and south of Canal had North or South in their names. South Rampart emerges from Canal then crosses Common, Gravier, Union and Perdido Streets running "uptown," i.e., upriver, in a neighborhood that housed a number of barrooms, dance halls and brothels around the turn of the 20th century, where a lot of early jazz was played. The last building that would have housed such an establishment collapsed during the past year. The area consists mostly of office buildings now, including mine. Rampart actually runs more in  easterly and westerly directions than north and south, but compass points mean nothing in New Orleans. The four directions are uptown (up river), downtown, riverside (the Mississippi) and Lakeside (Lake Pontchartrain). Downtown, South Claiborne and South Carrolton Avenues run parallel to one another, but uptown they cross at right angles. One can get lost trying to find his way around this city using conventional directions.

>>> "Tim Eldred" <julepjerk at surewest.net> 3/10/2011 2:31 PM >>>
Just returned from New Orleans and there definitely is a South Rampart
Street - Canal Street is indeed the place that separates South Rampart from
North Rampart.  Don't know when the North/South designation was made, but
Canal is where many street names change, e.g., Chartres becomes Camp and
Royal becomes Saint Charles.  Canal is also the demarcation line for
North/South Carrollton.