[Dixielandjazz] the washboard rhythm kings

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Tue Mar 8 15:10:10 PST 2011

Bill Haesler wrote:

> And I agree with my dear mate Jack Mitchell regarding the Reynolds
> Brothers link.
> [Except that the Wilton Crawley with Henry Allen and Jelly Roll Morton
> ("I'm Her Papa, She's My Mama/New Crawley Blues") WAS originally issued by
> Victor as Wilton Crawley And The Washboard Rhythm Kings, 'cos Bruce
> Johnson (the great 1930s 'washboardist') was on it.]

Quite so Bill, but the fact that one member of the WRKs was present, and the
disc was so labelled (before being corrected) still doesn't make the group
to be the Washboard Rhythm Kings, any more than the mislabelled Clarence
William's disc becomes a Louis Armstrong item.

I hold to my opinion that Henry Allen and JRM did not record with the WRK.

Best wishes
Jack Mitchell