[Dixielandjazz] Instrumentation similar to the KOCJB

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 2 14:38:16 PST 2011

Andrew Homzy wrote [in part]:
> ......he session listed below [Johnny Dodds Black Bottom Stompers -Chicago, October 8, 1927] has the same front line as King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band...... So this was an obvious tribute to the KOCJB in both instrumentation and performance.

Dear Andrew.
Welcome to our exclusive Mouldy Fig Club.
*>)
As young Australian turks we discovered the above 'tribute band' back in the 1940s and always wished that the King Oliver 'Creole' Jazz Band had been recorded using the same (later) technique.
In fact, this session is still one of my all-time 'desert island' favourites.
Playing it now on Frog CD DGF39.
A quick discographal search of the 1920s period will certainly reveal similar front lines, but without the musical intensity exhibited by this particular Dodds' group.
[Try Charles Creath's Jazz Jazz-O-Maniacs.
   http://redhotjazz.com/songs/misc/butterf.ram
   http://redhotjazz.com/songs/misc/CrazyQuilt.ram
For, after all, the Dodds' group includes three of the Oliver CJB musicians.
And the others were listening to the Oliver band in 1923.
For DJMLers interested in hearing what Andrew is talking about check out the Red Hot Jazz Archive at:
   http://redhotjazz.com/Songs/dodds/comeon.ram
   http://redhotjazz.com/Songs/dodds/afteryouvegone1.ram
   http://redhotjazz.com/Songs/dodds/joeturner.ram
   http://redhotjazz.com/Songs/dodds/Erastus.ram