[Dixielandjazz] Small World, Jazz is where you find it.

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 12:18:54 PST 2011

Last Decamber, we attended what the rabbi who MC'd the evening
described as "Stan Ross' annual last ever concert," in which listmate
Larry participated.  BTW, I have already mentioned that event on the
list.  The concert celebrated Stan's birthday and his recovery from
the surgery.
I first encountered Larry when he played quite regularly with the
Stompers.  I have known Stan and the Sharon Valley Stompers for many
years, since sometime in the 1980's.  The name change is a funny
story, but one needs knowledge of Hebrew to fully appreciated.  Sharon
is the area in Israel where Natanya (and my town of Raanana) is
located.  However, it is also a common first name (and a surname -
just remember our ex-prime minister Ariel Sharon).  The way "Valley"
is spelt in Hebrew, it may mean "and Allie."  Since many people had
asked Stan who Sharon and Allie were, he decided to leave just
"Stompers".
The concert itself went well, and Stan's playing was better than on
several previous "absolutely last" concerts.
Cheers