[Dixielandjazz] Small World, Jazz is where you find it.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 2 11:54:56 PST 2011

Got a note today from a friend, Lou Kaplan, a retired Rabbi. I had
given him a copy of one of Israeli  list mate Elazar Brandt's CDs,
"Blowing My Own Horn" several years ago. The a year or so later, when
he visited Australia, I gave him Bill Haesler's contact info and he
saw Bill and the Robber Dogs in Sidney and brought back a Robber Dogs
CD for me after enjoying Bill's performance.

Today he sent me a clipping from the "International Jerusalem
Post" (December 2010) about Stanley Ross, an 80 year old trumpeter who
fronted the Shalom Stompers, now The Stompers, in Israel.

Neat story about him. Born in Glasgow, his father - in - law was a
Bugler in the British Army and stationed in Palestine in 1917 with
General Allenby. He was a major influence on Ross learning the
trumpet. Ross tried to emigrate to Israel in the 1960s but that didn't
work out. Finally in 1982 he made Israel his home and after seeking
others interested in OKOM, formed the Shalom Stompers with trombonist
Amnon Ben-Artzi.

Ross is recovering from a triple by-pass and thinks he might have to
give up playing because he doesn't yet have the strength to play the
way he used to.

Elazar and Marek. Do you know him?  He lives in Netanya. Hopefully he
will keep playing even if not like he used to.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband