[Dixielandjazz] I need Help with some recordings - Dukes of Dixieland

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jun 28 20:48:57 PDT 2011

Andrew Homzy requested:
> I am looking for some elusive recordings by the Dukes of Dixieland.....

Dear Andrew,
You may have transposed the albums and titles. a
According to my files:
"I Can't Give You Anything But Love" is on the album "Breakin' It Up On Broadway".
Columbia CL 1728 and 8528. (I have this LP.) Recorded on 31 August 1961. With Jim Hall, g.

"When You're Smiling is on the the album 'Now Hear This".
Columbia CL 1793 and CS 8593. Recorded on 15 Jan 1962. With Herb Ellis, g.

> The following Herb Ellis songs may have been recorded only on a 45 - but I'm sure they came out on an Lp.
> Too Bad     What's The Time

Not that I could find.
This is what I have:
[From Pete Kelly's Blog site] "The Dukes also made an unusual 45 single of two Assunto/Ellis originals called Too Bad and What's the Time? The sides are very pleasant swing, but quite removed from the usual Dukes fare."
This Columbia 45RPM single (4-42416) is currently on eBay until 26 July 2011, for $5.00.
Very kind regards,
Bill.