[Dixielandjazz] Vale Kenny Powell

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 20 15:23:23 PDT 2011

Dear Friends,
Sadly, I report that pianist Kenny Powell died on Sunday, 19th June 2011.
A great musician, a genuine character and a friend to so many of us.
His jolly chuckle will be missed.
No other details available at the moment.
Here is a brief biog I wrote for Loretta Barnard's recent Len Barnard book. "Jottings Of A Jazzman".

Powell, Kenny: (b. London, England) piano/arranger/composer. Played and arranged for Jack Parnell’s ATV London Orchestra (1959-72) while working regular dates at Ronnie Scott’s. Worked with tenor man Tommy Whittle and vocalist Barbara Jay at The Hopbine pub in Wembley (1960’s) and recorded with Tubby Hayes and the Hopbine trio (1966). Came to Australia (1972) and was musical director for Kamahl (qv.) and arranger for Bob Barnard. Recorded as soloist (1989) and with Bob Barnard (1979, 1990) and the Café Society Orchestra (1994). Did weekly arrangements for the ABC Show Band throughout the 1970’s and recorded original orchestral compositions for the ABC’s Jim McLeod (1980s-90s).

Very kind regards,
Bill.