[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Emperors

Scott Anthony santh at comcast.net
Sat Jun 18 12:02:16 PDT 2011

I played a job a week ago with one of the musicians who was in Turk's band
early in the Sacramento Jubilee history and asked about this. He told me
that the band was hired to play a couple of years at the beginning, but Turk
was not enthused about the pay and how the band was treated in relation to
the other non-professional bands that were present, and declined later
invitations. This apparently caused considerable "friction" (so to speak)
between him and the festival organizers which led to the band never again
appearing.

This is not my opinion, just what I heard.

Scott Anthony