[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Emperors

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Tue Jun 7 10:31:26 PDT 2011

Dick Baker wrote:

> Turk Murphy died in 1987, so after that it was too late to name
> him.  The big question is how he could have been overlooked/ignored
> for the first ten years.

Dick, that is a very good question.  While I have played for all 38 Sacramento Jazz Festivals, I moved to Los Angeles in 1979 and did not return to the Sacramento area until 1995.  I had virtually no input as to who was selected as Emperor.  Actually other then lobbying like crazy to get Floyd Levin selected, I have never had any input.

Bill Borcher, the first Exec Director  has passed away.  Roger Krum who succeeded Bill as Exec Director, while quite ill, is still with us.  I'll try to get an answer from him.

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would
promise them missionaries for dinner."
H. L. Mencken 1880-1956