[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Daddies on Riverwalk Jazz This Week

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Thu Jun 16 16:29:46 PDT 2011

On 6/16/2011 7:00 PM, Marek Boym wrote:
> This reminds me of a band I heard at the  Edinburgh Jazz Festival,
> "The Rising Sons," composed of sons of well-known musicians.  I cannot
> find the details right now - it's almost 2AM - but among them were
> Emile Martyn, son of the drummer Barry Martyn, and Sammy Rimmington
> Jnr., the son of the famous clarinettist Sammy Rimmington.  Both, I
> believe, have since become musicians in their own right.  Emile may be
> heard on a  Willie Humphrey GHB CD (BCD 248).
> Cheers
>
> On 16 June 2011 21:04, Donald Mopsick<dmopsick at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> The show this week is about Jazz Daddies in honor of Father' s Day.
>> Jim Cullum talks about his dad Jim Cullum Sr., Lionel Hampton's
>> re-discovery of his Dad is recalled by host David Holt, Shelly Berg
>> talks about his dad the trumpet player Jay Berg, John Pizzarelli talks
>> about the great Bucky, etc. Additional guests are Bob Barnard, John
>> Cocuzzi, and Nicholas Payton.
>>
>> On a personal note: MY father, the late Harry Mopsick (he was a lawyer
>> but worked on alto and violin during the Depression years) was in the
>> band at Fordham U. the year that the SMU band came to Fordham to play
>> for a football game, and in that famous jazzy marching band (Johnny
>> Mercer was inspired to write "Jamboree Jones")  was Jim Cullum Sr. Jim
>> Jr. and I figured out that it was likely that our two fathers were at
>> the same game playing in the opposing bands. The year was probably
>> 1933 or so.
>>
>> Stream it here:
>>
>> http://www.riverwalkjazz.org/jazznotes/jazz_daddies/
>>
>> mopo

Many examples of this. Matty MAtlock's son, Bud, was a fineguitarist. Tom
Pletcher's father was Stewart Pletcher of the Red Norvo band. John
Willams (film composer) dad was drummer woth Raymonf Scott Quintett and
a studio musicasian. Perry "Bunny" Botkin, fillm snad recording
composer/arranger the son of Perry Botkin, Bing Crosby's loong-time
guitarist - and the list goes on. Of course
I count myself inthatbunch as son of Red Ingle, Goldkette alumni and Ted
Weems, Spike Jones,and his own Natural Seven bands. Iamsure that this is
more often ahappening thanmost would think, but you got to admit the
exposure to themusic and styles comes easy with blood ties.
Don Ingle