[Dixielandjazz] Rehearsal Issues

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Jun 15 18:11:54 PDT 2011

Big band is a different set of issues.  One of the problems as you stated is the random nature of rehearsals and gigs.  Many bands don't really rehearse.

One of the big bands here rehearses each week and pays a guy to rehearse them.  They do a good job for the most part.

Another rehearses every week but because the leader is a musical moron it really doesn't do a lot of good.  This band has some good musicians but bad rehearsal techniques bore them to death such as always starting at the beginning of the tune when the part that needs rehearsing is in the coda.  Rehearsing a girl singer over and over on the same tune is also moronic.  This band once spent an entire hour and a half on one tune (Minnie the Moocher) for the female vocalist, over and over and over. I wanted to scream.

By the way that was the night I committed gigacide when I suggested making a tape and having her rehearse it at home then come to rehearsal knowing the tune.  What a novel idea!!!  That didn't go over well because she was the current girlfriend who had no sense of style or timing.

I play with a big band that gets a paid rehearsal.  The leader starts the tunes and rehearses the start - tempo etc. and if there are any issues such as a complicated soli.  We rarely run a tune all the way through.  We rehearse endings if there are issues.  Each tune goes pretty fast and the easier things are sight read on the concert.  The difference is that this band has the best pro musicians in the area, capable of sight reading on a high level.  I might point out that this band makes more than three times what the other bands pay their guys.

Another difference is that these guys sit down, shut up and listen to the leader.  No one practices and everyone comes tuned.  I have never seen any of these guys pull out a tuner.  That annoys me to no end.  Guys trying to use tuners and then play out of tune!!!  It is so neat to play with guys that listen to what they are doing and have a clue.

The whole thing boils down to how good the players are and what you have to do.  I think hiring a musical director is a good idea for the average hobby band.
Larry
StL