[Dixielandjazz] Festival Privileges drying up?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 14 08:22:11 PDT 2011

Bud Taylor asked:
Question to bands and musicians who have played recently in
festivals.  Were
you given passes to venues and events going on other than the venue you
played at?  If you played only on one or two days, were you given
passes to
other days of the festival?  Perhaps it was in the form of an Artist
Badge
that gave you admittance to other events.  This badge did not allow us
step in front of a paying customer.

Has this policy changed over the years.  We participated in a festival
that
we had appeared for the last 6 years.  This year the festival organizers
decided to fore go giving artist passes.  A very important perk went
away
that has us wondering about whether we want to participate in the
future.

Dear Bud:
We just did a local jazz festival over the Memorial Day weekend. Had
two concerts on one day. We received "Artist Passes" which allowed us
free access to other venues , both that day, and on the other 2 days.
This was not an OKOM festival but mostly the more modern forms of jazz.

I would think that organizers would be happy that the artists might
want to mingle with the attendees, who enjoy seeing them off stage.

My band would not visit other venues if we had to pay, but would still
play  these kindof festivals if they pay a reasonable fee.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband