[Dixielandjazz] Stan Rubin and The Tigertown Five

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 12 13:30:35 PDT 2011

> From: "M J (Mike) Logsdon" <mjl at ix.netcom.com> asked
>
> This band appears on Ernie Kovacs' NBC evening show of July 30, 1956
> (viewable via the recently released INCREDIBLE DVD set,http://tinyurl.com/64dougy)
> .  They play Saints.  Not on Youtube yet, or I'd provide link.
> Here's Stan's link:  http://www.stanrubin.com.  Any thoughts about
> his dixie playing in the mid- to late-50s?

Dear Mike:

The Dixieland Band was VERY popular around the NYC/Philly area while
Stan was at Princeton. Ed Polcer, another Princetonian was also in
that band and played MANY gigs with them. Then they went on to bigger
and better things. A Gig at Jimmy Ryan's, a gig in Bermuda, a gigging
tour of Europe and some sponsorship by legendary party giver Elsa
Maxwell. But the gig that made all of us jealous was when they played
at the wedding of Prince Ranier and Grace Kelly in Monaco.

Seems he had previously met and danced with Grace Kelly at a party in
NYC.  A few months later just before her wedding, Rubin wrote and
asked if she would like his band there. She said YES adding that both
she and the Prince were fans of his.

Solid band, Good contacts and Stan was a superb front man. As you
know, he then went on to big band swing.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband