[Dixielandjazz] Jim Beebe

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Thu Jun 2 17:01:15 PDT 2011

On 6/2/2011 6:41 PM, Bill Haesler wrote:
> Butch Thompson wrote:
>> I second that one, Judy.  I really miss his cantankerous posts on this list, as do many others, I think.
> Dear Butch,
> I certainly do, as we also corresponded regularly off-list.
> All now lost in a computer crash.
> Rats!
> Very kind regards,
> Bill.

For some reason your post about Jim's birthday dated in March showed up
today, June 2. But no one is more in agreement about Jim and our respect
for him and his playing;
I was playing trumpet in the house band at Jazz Ltd. in Chicago when, in
1965, Jim came in to replace Dave Rasbury on trombone. As a result I had
the great pleasure to play next to him for three years, five nights a
week, and six hours a night. We bonded at once and it was one of the
more pleasant times I ever had in music.
I did have a chance to talk to him by phone a few days before he passed
and except forweakness of breath, he sounded like the "jarhead"of old.
I did beat him in one regard - I made it 80 this February and was a
month older based on date of birth. Would sure have liked to have shared
the cake with him.
Watch out Gabriel - give him room to move that slide.
Semper Fi, Jimmy,
Don Ingle