[Dixielandjazz] Final rites for Don Kinch

Rick Campbell ricksax at comcast.net
Fri Jul 29 15:16:30 PDT 2011

Dear DJML Listmates and Friends of Don Kinch,

Other than a brief reminiscence from Don Ingle on DJML, my responses
relative to the question of a proper Don Kinch biographical tribute
were mostly "let it be."

So rather than write a lengthy piece, our band mentioned Don and his
work at our regular gig at Tapalaya New Orleans Restaurant last night,
and performed our New Orleans funeral medly, Flee As A Bird and Didn't
He Ramble.

The audience, not all jazz fans, seemed touched and satisfied. I hope
Don will look down kindly at our simple attempt to honor him. Not a
true religious service, but at least it took place in a jazz club.

Perhaps, someday, someone will write a more definitive story about his
life and considerable musical accomplishments.

Rick Campbell
Milneburg Social Aid and Pleasure Society Jazz Band
Portland, Oregon USA
503-701-7356
ricksax at comcast.net