[Dixielandjazz] Akoi & Moyses was Kobe Jazz Street Festival

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Fri Jul 29 13:06:42 PDT 2011

Thanks Steve (and Louis), for passing this on to all.  One of my most
fervent wishes had been to see Ken Aoki live and I got to do this a couple of
weeks ago.  A sponsor brought him to Oklahoma City for the  annual convention
of the Fretted Instrument Guild of America.  He  speaks very little
English, but as he conveys with a few words --  musicians can speak just fine
without a language base.  One truly  special hour there was sitting maybe twenty
feet away from Ken in a small venue  in the American Banjo Museum modeled
after Shakey's Pizza.  He was  accompanied by an outstanding bassist from the
Tucson, AZ area, name of Evan  Dain.  (More on Evan in next mail.)

That session was like being transported to another planet where the
performers were made out of protoplasmic music.  He did several jazz  standards,
Reser, Bechtel,etc.  But also got to witness live his Rhapsody  in Blue,
Moonlight Sonata.  Steve, I know you appreciate Steve  DiBonaventura.  Steve D.
was sitting in the audience, had jammed Chick  Corea's "Spain" with Aoki at
some point earlier in the convention.  Aoki  called Steve to the stage and
announced to the audience they were going to do  "Spain" much to the surprise
of Steve.  Awesome to watch the 3 of them put  that one across to an
audience that for the most part is more acclimated to  "When You're Smiling".

Oh, Aoki also appeared on the main stage and did some other venues --  just
don't want to keep carrying on.

Still Smiling in My Ears from that concert,
Ginny

In a message dated 7/29/2011 1:53:40 P.M. Central Daylight Time,