[Dixielandjazz] King Fisher

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Fri Jul 29 11:08:49 PDT 2011

On 7/28/2011 6:31 PM, Marek Boym wrote:
> Hi,
> Our host tonight played the antipodian band of King Fisher on
> Jazzology JCD-13.  Everybody went crazy about the band, especially on
> its blues.  The evening's favourite, even though we also heard Red
> Allen, Cootie Williams, Buddy Tate and Johnny Hodges.
> An excellent band!
> Cheers

There's a "blast from the  past." I worked with King's dad and King in
Aspen,  Colorado over the winter of '59-'60 - King on Cornet, Freddie
Fisher on clar and bass sax, Walt Smith, piano and myself of valve
trombone. No drums or bass except for various sit ins. Made a 10" LP
with this band, plus an added  drummer from Smokey Stover's band and my
dad, Red Ingle, on bass sax, plus the regulars.
King at the tme was very much into Bix. He left the US and became an
ex-pat in OZ a year later.
It was a fun band, and Freddie was a wildman that was always fun to play
with. Our favorite song with the "Ski Bum" crowd was "Horsey Keep Your
Tail Up."
Nice to be reminded.
Don Ingle