[Dixielandjazz] The Old Daze

Jim Hatfield jhatpro at comcast.net
Thu Jul 28 09:30:00 PDT 2011

Back in the '80s I had a chance to talk with Bud Freeman who told me about
playing nine shows a day with the Benny Goodman band in 1941 at the Chicago
Theatre. They played short sets all day long for State Street shoppers who
came in to rest their feet and catch some tunes and a newsreel. I think the
fare was a dime.

Bud also recalled playing at the Green Mill up on Broadway and Lawrence
(still there!) in the early '30s when coppers came through the door with
axes and hauled everyone down to the stationhouse. Bud said a guy from the
musician's union showed up shortly with a bag of cash, bailed out the band,
and put 'em in cabs so they could get back to the Mill where they played
another set for a different bunch of drinkers.

Those were the daze.

Jim Hatfield

P.S. Oh, yeah, I meant to ask if anyone knows a trad group in the Chicago
area looking for a cornet player, either fulltime or sub. Alternatively, are
there any bone/reed/rhythm players in Chicagoland looking to start a trad
group. West suburbs preferred.