[Dixielandjazz] Condon's Temple of Mediocrity

Ernie Landes ernlan at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 25 15:10:07 PDT 2011

 I was at Condon's only once, at Christmastime 1956.  I remember there was a
priest sitting right up front, collar and all, nursing a beer and digging the
music.  Cutty sat at our table on a break, and I recall he was "very friendly"
to my girlfriend!

Ernie Landes
Peoria, AZ
Sun City Stomperz

 One night when I was there, a

very good looking lady sat next to me at the bar.  We started talking,
and she turned out to be the wife of Jack Maheu.  She was complaining
about his commuting from Buffalo and the low pay.  "So why doesn't he
quit?"  She looked at me as if I were completely off my rocker and
said: "And stop playing with THEM?!"