[Dixielandjazz] Condon's Temple of Mediocrity

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 13:12:47 PDT 2011

>> Nobody said that, not even the person who called Eddie Conson's "the
>> temple of mediocrity"

> OK, I just thought that if some jerk called Condon's joint on 3rd Street a
> Temple of mediocrity" it naturally followed that he also meant that the guys
> who played there were mediocre. What else could he have meant?

YOu may be right.  But I suspect that he meant they were noodling
rather than trying to play their best.  By the way, earlier today I
watched a video cassette of Condon with Cutsahll, Hucko, Wild Bill,
Varro, Williams and Drootin, and they sounded great!

> Neither I nor my musician friends who both listened and played there were
> ever disappointed in the music.

I am sure.
Even much later, at the "New" Condon's.  One night when I ws there, a
very good looking lady sat next to me at the bar.  We started talking,
and she turned out to be the wife of Jack Maheu.  She was complaining
about his commuting from Buffalo and the low pay.  "So why doesn't he
quit?"  She looked at me as if I were completely off my rocker and
said: "And stop playing with THEM?!"