[Dixielandjazz] Eddie Condon and Dixieland

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jul 27 21:16:08 PDT 2011

Marek Boym wrote:
> Although we all know (or should know) that he wrote "We called it music" and was not too keen on
> calling his music Dixieland, he had no qualms about introducing "Royal Garden Blues" as a very common Dixieland song; those of you who get "Jazz of the Twenties" can find out.  I believe the redording comes from the early '60's.  Only two day ago I watched the entire session on a video cassette.

Dear Marek,
You did not quote sources, so here they are for other DJML mates.
The "Royal Garden Blues" film clip can be viewed at Matt Chauvin's fine 20's Jazz site at:
   http://www.20sjazz.com/videos/hot-jazz/royal-garden-blues.html
(My mate and Wild Bill enthusiast may wish to re-enjoy this one.)
I believe it to be from the TV studio bandstand program, 'Goodyear Jazz Concert'.
Eddie Condon And His All Stars featuring Wild Bill Davison (c) Cutty Cutshall (tb) Peanuts Hucko (cl) Johnny Varro (p) Eddie Condon (g) Joe Williams (sb) Buzzy Drootin (d).
New York. Probably May 1962. Although another source states 1961.
That is the wild playing of Bill Davison that listmate Steve Barbone would have heard when he sat in with him at Condon's as a kid when learning his trade.
"Big Ben Blues" from the same show can be seen at:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u64iopZJ9wU
and "Stealin' Apples" at:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NKFEm9Qd1w&NR=1
Very kind regards,