[Dixielandjazz] Eddie Condon at Condon's on 3rd Street

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 13:30:45 PDT 2011

On 24 July 2011 20:23, Stephen G Barbone
> I guess it takes all kinds. Here is a short list of players who appeared at
> Condon's and/or are on records with him in the 1940s, 50s and 60s. These are
> the ones I remember. No doubt MANY more appeared there.

Sure.  I could add quite a few more, and have records to prove it.

Cheers

>If these guys were
> mediocrity, then just about all of us playing OKOM today are trash.

Nobody said that, not even the person who called Eddie Conson's "the
temple of mediocrity"  Bur nobody is on form all the time.  Sometime
in the mid-'60's I borrowed an Eddie Condon (side A) and Bobby Hackett
(side 2) LP, issued by the VoA, from the ISIS library.  It was awful!
Each side was mor boring than the other, each time I played it.  And,
by then, I had quite a few Condon records, many with Hackett.  The
record was a great disservice to the musicians involved (a stellar
line-up on both sides).  Such things happen to musicians who work
every ninght, often seven nights a week.

Cheers