[Dixielandjazz] all white saxophonists

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Jul 19 22:16:13 PDT 2011

You are right Paul, it takes a pretty good trumpet player to do the things
they did.  It takes some very good chops to not lose it and crack a note.
Then again, there are few if any examples of Trumpet players that can put
any feeling into their music.  I just don't understand why that is.  Surely
they have to have heard at least one that they could emulate.

At a recent high school concert a kid did a very credible Chuck Magioni.  It
was nice.

Truth is, Saxophone players around here have difficulty with feeling, style
and tonality too.  There are guys that play the keys off of the sax but miss
the boat on those things that make it such a neat instrument.

In a few years it won't make any difference because those of us who care
will be dead.
Larry
StL