[Dixielandjazz] Whatever happened to style?

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Jul 18 18:36:27 PDT 2011

It's the same with soloing on all instruments.  Soloing has become licks
played on top of chord patterns with no thought to what it sounds like as
long as the notes are right and they are played as fast as possible in
shabby imitation of long dead bebop guys.

There is a young woman here who thinks of herself as a good jazz player.
When she finishes and gets complements on her playing she looks like a baby
who just made a mud pie.  Her solos are just as tasty.  I can't believe that
anyone would complement her on her solos although she does have a lovely
rack.  To tell her the truth would fall on deaf ears because after all her
college prof's probably give her very good grades and that nonsense is being
taught in schools today so why fight it.  After all she has attributes that
musicians from all eras can appreciate.

Even when playing straight through a melody there is no style, just notes.
Most of these guys don't even know how to use vibrato right.
Larry
StL