[Dixielandjazz] For Louis Prima fans -- I guess that's everyone

Bob Rubin rhr261 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 18 06:20:49 PDT 2011

Every so often I browse youtube to enjoy Prima vids and see if there are new ones up.

His tb player from approx mid 50s to mid 60s was Lou Scioneaux ( later known in New Orleans, where I first discovered him in '80, as Lou Sino. I loved him then for his overall energy and personality as a leader/player/entertainer. I knew nothing else about him until I was thrilled to learn via youtube a few years ago that he had a glorious run as one of the Witnesses backing Louis Prima. Sadly, he died in the 80s, in his 50s.

None of the videos that came up under youtube searches for Prima or in 'related' showed much of him other than as one of the three featured musicians backing up Louis and Keely ( or Gina).

When I recently googled Lou Sino I found this gem. I imagine a lot of you who have looked at many Prima youtubes, like me, have not seen this.

Among the things that makes this so special is the Prima's obvious joy at temporarily being 2nd banana and the reaction/interplay between Prima and Keely while Scioneaux is featured. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok79iQwxV_w