[Dixielandjazz] Ellington Worthless?

Joe Carbery joe.carbery at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 16:42:16 PDT 2011

Dear Steve,

Here is how I initially posted the reference to Jack Teagarden. Perhaps you
missed it.

'Jack Teagarden said in a Leonard Feather Blindfold test:
“I never did like anything Ellington ever did. He never had a band all in
tune, always has a bad tone and a bad blend. I’d just as soon listen to a
hillbilly on a jukebox.”'

That's as near as we can get to what he said, since both parties to the
interview are dead.

Note that he didn't say he didn't like Ellington, as you thought, but
"anything Ellington ever did". Am I too presumtive in thinking he was
referring to his music rather than how he tied his necktie or combed his
hair?
This would infer that to Jack Teagarden Ellington's music was, by
Teagarden's aesthetics, worthless. To maintain otherwise is, in my opinion,
to obfuscate with semantics.

Best Wishes,

Joe Carbery.