[Dixielandjazz] Composer's credits, was Ellington and Strayhorn

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Jul 14 09:52:23 PDT 2011

Steve Voce wrote:
>Ellington was not unique, amongst bandleaders, in having a stipulation in a
musician's contract that Ellington was to be given half composer credit of
any tune which the musician wrote whilst he was a member of the band.

Same goes for big name singers.  It is common that if a big name singer
sings your song, he gets half of the credit (for royalties), the publisher
(usually owned by the singer!) gets 25%, and the real composer gets the
remaining 25%.

Would I be happy if a big name sang one of my songs on his album & I only
got 25%?  You bet your life!  It still wouldn't be peanuts!  I've had 12,5%
for writing the words (not the music) on some relatively small projects &
laughed all the way to the bank.

Jim Kash