[Dixielandjazz] Alan Ladd - was all girl bands

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jul 13 20:01:16 PDT 2011

Hello Bill

Nice, VERY nice.

The clip is from Soundie #1125 (/I look at you/) and is a rare example
of Alan Ladd as a band singer. It was released in 1941 and pre-dates
Ladd's bit part in /Citizen Kane/ and stardom in /This gun for hire/.
The Soundie, in its full version, also includes Yvonne de Carlo.

The clip is a good example of a phenomenon that persists to the present
day - the tessitura of a male's singing voice is significantly higher
than that of the speaking voice.

All the best,
Anton