[Dixielandjazz] Online Streaming Music

Scott Kaufman scottiek44 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 16:58:17 PDT 2011

Stan Brager brought up that Spotify is coming to the US. There's a new music
streaming service with an interesting twist called turntable.fm (
http://www.turntable.fm). It's in beta (meaning there are a few bugs being
worked out but it's taking the internet by storm with over 140k users in its
first 6 weeks.

The twist is that it allows you, and up to 4 other people, to DJ the room.
They have fairly substancial cataloge of music through Medianet but you can
also upload your own MP3s (can't use M4A yet) if you want. A few friends of
mine have been having fun with it this week and buddy of mine and I are
doing a 3 hour show on Thursday, July 14th, from 7-10pm (California Time) of
Swing, Traditional & Hot Jazz music. We're expecting 25 - 50 people to tune
in based on our Facebook invite. If anyone on this list wants to tune in,
please do. The facebook event invite is located at:
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=146618882078863

The service offers a few interesting features. You can start your own room
and make sure that only music that fits that room is played.  You can rate a
song as "Awesome" or "Lame". If too many people rate the song as "lame" the
song is skipped. There is also a chat feature built into each room which
makes for interesting conversations about the music.

The one downside to serivce right now is that you must have a facebook
profile and and a friend that is already on the service. If anyone wants to
check it out and can't get in, just send me a friend request on facebook and
you'll have access after I accept it (That won't take long). The service has
only sent me emails when users that I choose to become fans of start DJing
and you can turn those emails off.

It's a great service with a lot of potential to expose users to Traditional
Jazz. I highly recommend it.

Scott

Sent from my iPad, please excuse misspellings, missing words, and cryptic
language.