[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 09:59:40 PDT 2011

Hello folks,
Last night a friend and I went to hear the Good Time Jazz in Tel-Aviv.
 What a lovely band!

This time I cannot even say that my other friends did not come due to
laziness: although the band played at a jazz club, it was a privately
organized show, and, at first, the organizer refused to have
additional audience; hence, it was not mentioned on the club's
website.
Unfortunately, organization was not as good as the music.  The event
was to start at 9:30PM, but music only started after 10.  Apparently,
the band was told not to start because the place was half empty; it
only filled up while the band was playing.  However, what starts late
ends late, and most of the public left during the break (a compromise
between intermission and interval).  As Jacques Sany said to us: "I'll
call the band back so that we start playing before there's no public
at all!"  Anyway, by the end, there was the organizer, one couple from
his group, and my friend and I.

All that has nothing to do with the music.  The first part was swing,
and tunes played included, in addition to such standards as "Rose
Room" or "Moonglow," Nat Adderley's "Work Song" and Horace Siver's
"The Preacher," both swinging like mad.  I still remember both as new
hits!  The second part was Dixieland.  Unfortunately, it was short as
the public had left.

The band comprised Jacques Sany (tenor on the swing portion, soprano
on the Dixieland portion), Idan Vallish on trombone and fluegelhorn,
Alec Katz on piano, Eyal Ganor on bass nd Rami Han on drums.

Cheers