[Dixielandjazz] Lee Gifford

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 3 08:20:50 PDT 2011

DJML, Trad Jazz, & Jazz Fan/Musicians Lists:

Does anyone have any current information about trombonist Lee Gifford?
As New York fans who went to Nick's will remember, he was a high
energy, high register trombonist regularly with Pee Wee Irwin and
Billy Maxted bands there.

See below correspondence from Liz and Bert Green about Lee.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

On Jul 2, 2011, at 10:26 PM, Liz Green wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My husband, Bert Green, served in Korea and met Lee Gifford in basic
> training, then again in Korea when Marilyn Monroe was performing and
> he was in the Army Band.  He met up with him at Nick's with a mutual
> acquaintance, Bob Green.
>
> He was talking about this the other night and we are trying to find
> out if Lee is still alive and what he is doing.  I read your article
> about Nick's today and thought you might know.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Liz and Bert Green

Hello Liz and Bert:

I last saw, and played with Lee in 1960 or 61 in  band at the 305 Club
in Garden City L.I., NY. Thereafter I lost touch. I heard somewhere,
that he had moved to Florida and stopped playing but do not know for
sure if this is true. I have tried several times to find out what
happened to him but have been unsuccessful. I will try again via
several chat lists.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS: Wiki Answers shows the following information: