[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 11:26:30 PDT 2011

Hello everybody.
Lat night I gave up the comfort of an airconditioned room and went to
hear the New Orleans Function on the Rothschild Boulevard in Tel-Aviv,
where the band appeared as part of the Tel-Aviv "White Night."  With
events like that financed by the municipality, no wonder Tel-Aviv has
been selected as one of the best tourist destinations!
Not that all was great.  Getting there was a disaster, getting out - a
nightmare.  And various musical groups were scattered all over the
long boulevard, so that there was a bad sound overlap.  But the whole
event was a success.  There must have been hundreds of thousands of
people; at least - it looked that way.  Bars and restaurants opened
street counters for sales of beer and food, and trade was brisk.
There were also 'human statues" and other forms of entertainment.  The
event started at 9PM and lasted till past 1AM.
The band played well.  With members of the Holy Lindyland (that's the
Tel-Aviv swing dance school and club) dancing, the band seemed more
inspired than I have seen it lately.  I did already mention that it
always sounded better when playing for dancers.
The Holy Lindylanders were by no means the only dancers.  Passers by
joined in, danced a few numbers, and went on to other groups.  But my
friend and I were not the only ones who stayed with the band all the
time.  And I am glad to say that some of those who stayed might have
been my grandchildren.
I liked the symbol of Holy Lindyland - a trafficsign with dancers.  In
addition to the square signs on their t-shirts, they put no entry
signs on both sides of the boulevard, showing a dancing couple.  just
lovely.
While I did not poarticipate in proper dancing, the band's ferocious
swing did not allow standing still, so I danced most of the time, and
returned home at 2:30 AM soaking wet!
And Steve is right: people are too lazy to get out and attend
performances; only one friend came with me, the others choosing to sit
at another friend's house and hear music there.  Oh, well - to each
his/her own!
Cheers