[Dixielandjazz] For Anyone in or Near NY

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat Jan 29 10:01:33 PST 2011

Harry Callaghan wrote:

> When Jon first started posting his Sunday night gig to the Tradjazz list,
> with his
> not-all-too-subtle reference to Phillup DeBucket, I e-mailed him off-list
> telling him that it reminded me of a sign I saw over a bar here in Houston.
>
> "IF YOU WANT CREDIT, GO TO HELEN WAITE"
>
> Helen was no doubt Phil's cousin

The original Shakey's Pizza parlor was here in Sacramento.  In the beginning, Shakey used to deliver pizza to people's houses in a hurse (SP).

He had a sign in Shakey's that said something to the effect,

"The Bank of America doesn't make pizzas and Shakey don't cash checks."

They held to that.

One night the Lt. Governor of California was in the place.  He tried to pay with a check.  Margie, the mainstay behind the pizza counter said, "We don't take checks, Bub."

He had to go back to his party and collect enough money to pay the bill.

He told Margie, "Your boss is smart.  If I had done that in my business, I'd be a whole lot richer today."

Burt Wilson wrote a very interesting book about the rise and fall of the Shakey's Pizza empire.  I wrote a review of the book.  If anyone would like to read the review, write to me off-list and I'll email it to you.

--Bob Ringwald
rsr at ringwald.com