[Dixielandjazz] Betty Smith

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 13:05:49 PST 2011

Another great voice silenced.  Sictransit gloria mundi.
I first came across Betty Smith on a Best of British Jazz LP many
years ago (it is the name of the band, not a compilation).  I was not
very impressed by her singing "Maybe It's Because I'm a Londoner," but
her solos sounded hot and inspired.  She also plays - very well - on a
number of tracks on A Freddy Randall CD I have.
May she rest in peace.
All the best to all of you,
Marek