[Dixielandjazz] Radio Locator

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Jan 28 13:04:38 PST 2011

>From another List:

Radio Locator

Ever wonder where the AM or FM broadcast station your listening to is located?  If
so here is the place to check it out.  You can even check out how much power they are running or if they are directional or not and if directional what does their pattern look like.

Some very surprising information can show up.  For example I often listen to an AM
station in Apple Valley.  They had a fine signal here as long as the sun was up but
at sunset their signal would all but disappear.  I was curious as to what their
day and night time power was and what their nighttime broadcast pattern was.  What
I discovered was that they were non-directional day and night with a daytime power
of 5KW.  The big surprise came when I saw that their nighttime power dropped down
to only 20 watts!  Yikes!  I could still here them at night but very poorly with
lots of QRM.  The transmitter site is located approx 30 miles from our place not
line of sight either.  Amazing that I could still hear anything of them at night
with them having only 20 watts of night time antenna power!

--Mike

http://www.radio-locator.com

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

"Congress was broadcast live on Facebook for the first time in history.
Now you can waste time and not get work done by watching Congress waste time and not get work done."
--Jimmy Fallon