[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 97, Issue 65

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 26 14:50:05 PST 2011

> "Norman Vickers" <nvickers1 at cox.net> wrote:
>
> Re:  list of jazz musicians for NO Jazz and Heritage Festival
>
> Jazz photojournalist Gene Hyden now living in New Orleans writes.
> Gene was
> for many years a stalwart in Washington's Potomac River Jazz Club.
> Now he
> enjoys the ambience and music of his adopted city, New Orleans.
> Referring
> to the list of jazz musicians forwarded a couple of days ago by Steve
> Barbone--
>

> Gene  wrote:
>
> some of those listed are definitely NOT jazz or even jazz-related,
> but the
> main problem with lists they publish is that they will list all the
> "names"
> as if they were separate acts, while they may be in the same band,
> playing
> only one set.  nuf sed.  if you see me there, you're hallucinating.

Pray tell, who on that list was not jazz-related? Also, with one stage
dedicated to Trad Jazz/Dixieland/New Orleans Jazz for several days,
there is more OKOM jazz there than at most US OKOM Festivals.

But I agree also with Gene. I wouldn't go there either because of the
extremely large crowds that do go there. Probably more folks there
listening to OKOM than show up at most USA OKOM festivals these days.
Also, they are a heck of a lot more lively. Like most young folks,
they want to be a part of the show as well as celebrate the music. And
celebrate it they do.

With rare exception, old folks like us don't have that kind of energy
left, except perhaps for the parasol paraders. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband