[Dixielandjazz] "I'm Still Here" was When to Hang it Up

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 26 14:36:54 PST 2011

Tried to post this a week or so ago but it was rejected because it was
too long. I listed too many comments, so here is the abridged version.

Since the below Elaine Stitch performance is what started the thread
about hanging it up. Some list mates opined that she should have not
performed because she no longer sings like she did 50 years ago. For a
more balanced view, interested list mates might READ THE VIEWER
COMMENTS below the site. All of them are quite positive. See just a
few below the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWvg7P05TqA

SOME VIEWER COMMENTS:

And we're lucky she's still here!

You Go Elaine! God Bless you, helluva woman you are!

An absolute American institution - a national treasure.

Her performance had me in tears, too! I taped it and every time I
watch it, I get emotional. She's just amazing. The whole 80th birthday
show was amazing.

Elaine Strich is fabulous! She just did a performance for Steven
Sondheim's 80th birthday show...Wow! What a dame.

Her performance of this song on the 80th Birthday show had me in
tears. So poignant and touching. What a DAME!!!

Now that's how a true broadway star does it. She does the great
Sondheim such justice when she belts it after all these yrs...shes
still here.

The lady just thoroughly gives me chills of joy when she does this
song. She has been through a lot and she IS still here!! God Bless her
-- she IS A TRUE WINNER!!!

end of partial list of comments. See link for more.

Who among us has the judgement to opine that she should have hung it
up long ago when her fans absolutely adore her?

Listen carefully to the words. Who but someone her age could sing this
song with any authority? That's what the communication is all about;
"I'm Still Here". Not only is she stiull here, but she still has IT.

Cheers
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband