[Dixielandjazz] going to the Big Apple

Tito Martino titomartino at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 12:21:44 PST 2011

Hi List Mates

lately I've been lurking occasionally at our DJML, after some years of
active participation.
Please excuse me to be a bit off topic, but I am going in April to NY for
this Easter
(saturday to wednesday) and I ask the help of our listmates to give me
some insider hints about valuable and essencial nice places to see in so
short time,
 -  and also the proverbial no-no-no in the Big City   :>)

I'm not interested in popular celebrities' places, nor in conventional
tourist tours;
I like art, culture, historic places and of course OKOM.
Certainly I'll be at Sofia's Bar, Monday night to see Vince Giordano
(he told me he will be there April 25) and possibly I'll go to the Easter
Sunday celebrations
at the Cathedral.  I will look for Book & Record Shops, and seek the best
music
shops to buy instruments, mutes and reeds.  What else you suggest ?
Where to eat  some speciality only to be found in NY?
Where to see good  OKOM out of Monday?

I was in NY with my whole Band and played at the NY Jazz Museum, sponsored
by
Jack Bradley, but this was long ago...  1974 !    I suppose it's a NEW NY
I'll find now !

I will be very grateful to any hint you can give, and I promise to guide and
to give good hints
 to anyone coming here to São Paulo.

I still remember with gratitude the hints and support I received from our
listmates,
especially Nancy Giffin, Steve Barbone, Jim Kashishian, Tom Wiggins, Bob
Romans,
Meg Graf, Joe Hopkins, Dan Augustine, Bob Ringwald, Paul Edgerton, Kaye
Wade,
Bob Lynn, and so many others, when I went to Chicago and Sacramento 2003 to
play
as a guest with Chuck Hedges, K Street Ramblers and the Cell Block Seven.

 And if you want to know the entire story it's in English at my site page
"NEWS" :
"Jazzing in a Bliss -  A Brazilian Jazzman travels to Dixieland Heaven" in
www.titomartinojazzband.com.br

Here is my Band playing in a recent TV show interview   (you can jump over
the talks...)
I Can't Give You Anything but Love  and  My Blue Heaven
(unfortunately the TV production obliged us to double our own audios)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuqZIuoYLtk

You can send mail directly to my e-mail      titomartino at gmail.com

Hope to hear from you, cheers and beers,

Tito Martino

--
Tito Martino Jazz Band
www.titomartinojazzband.com.br