[Dixielandjazz] Bending over backwards

Allan Brown allanbrown at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jan 25 06:29:45 PST 2011

Wow, that was incredible!!!

My wife couldn't watch it as she's got a dodgy knee that occasionally pops out of alignment and that was like her worst nightmare come true.

But it got me thinking about circus music and I wonder if anyone on this list has ever played in a circus band? I guess they don't use live musicians much anymore, but the few times I've been to the circus in recent years, to see the Moscow State Circus and the Chinese State Circus they both had a proper band, albeit quite rock orientated.

On the other hand, do any Dixieland Bands employ contortionists to entertain and enthral?

A quick internet search revealed a few interesting nuggets, like:

"Circus music developed from fast polkas, galops, and can-cans, and its foundation is a solid section of low brass instruments."

and...

"Circus bands never play John Philip Sousa's Stars and Stripes Forever as a part of their regular program. It is reserved for emergency use. If an animal gets loose, a high wind threatens the tent, or a fire breaks out, the band plays the march as warning signal to every worker on the circus lot that something is wrong. This peculiar circus quirk has evolved over the years, as have various other superstitions and expressions. Circus bands play other Sousa marches regularly."

http://brebru.com/musicroom/circus/circus.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circus_music

All the best,

Allan Brown